Code of Ethics
Ethical guideline for United Way of Dodge City
STATEMENT OF MISSION: United Way is improving lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community.
STATEMENT OF VISION: We see a safe community with strong families working together, successful children moving toward becoming productive citizens, and a community where the disabled are reaching their potential and senior citizens can maintain their independence. We recognize a community of diverse people with a shared vision of caring for one another.
1. PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL INTEGRITY: A personal commitment to integrity in all circumstances benefits each individual as well as the organization. We therefore:
- Strive to meet the highest standards of performance, quality, service and achievement in working
- Communicate honestly and openly and avoid misrepresentation.
- Promote a working environment where honesty, open communication and minority opinions are valued.
- Exhibit respect and fairness toward all those with whom we come into contact.
2. ACCOUNTABILITY: We are accountable to our donors: the individuals and businesses who have entrusted their gifts to us; to our member agencies: the organizations who trust us to raise necessary funds for their operations; and to our community who depends on us to identify problems and find solutions; and to promote stewardship and philanthropy. We will comply with all the rules and regulations that govern our United Way and other charities.
3. SOLICITATIONS AND VOLUNTARY GIVING: The most responsive contributors are those who have the opportunity to become informed and involved. We therefore:
- Promote voluntary giving in dealing with donors and vendors.
- Refrain from any use of coercion in fundraising activities, including predicting professional advancement on response to solicitations.
4. DIVERSITY AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY: United Way of Dodge City is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions. United Way of Dodge City will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
5. SEXUAL HARASSMENT POLICY: United Way of Dodge City is committed to providing a safe environment for all its employees free from discrimination on any ground and from harassment at work including sexual harassment. United Way of Dodge City will operate a zero tolerance policy for any form of sexual harassment in the workplace, treat all incidents seriously and promptly investigate all allegations of sexual harassment. Any person found to have sexually harassed another will face disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal from employment. This policy will apply to all board of directors and volunteers. All complaints of sexual harassment will be taken seriously and treated with respect and in confidence. No one will be victimized for making such a complaint.
6. CONFLICTS OF INTEREST: To avoid any conflict of interest or the appearance of a conflict of interest which could tarnish the reputation of United Way of Dodge City, United Way staff and representatives, as outlined in the Conflict of Interest Policy to include but not limited to the following:
- Avoid any activity or outside interest which conflicts or appears to conflict with the best interest of United Way of Dodge City including involvement with a current or potential United Way of Dodge City vendor, grantee, or competing organization unless disclosed to and not deemed to be inappropriate by the United Way of Dodge City Executive Committee.
- Ensure that travel, entertainment and related expenses are incurred on a basis consistent with the mission of United Way of Dodge City and not for personal gain or interests.
- Decline any gift, gratuity or favor in the performance of United Way of Dodge City’s duties except for promotional items of nominal value, and any food, transportation, lodging or entertainment unless directly related to United Way of Dodge City business.
- Refrain from influencing the selection of staff, consultants or vendors who are relatives or personal friends or are affiliated with or employed by a person with whom they have a relationship that adversely affects the appearance of impartiality.
United Way of Dodge City volunteers:
- Should not knowingly take any action, or make any statement, intended to influence the conduct of United Way of Dodge City in such a way as to confer any financial benefit on themselves, their immediate family members or any organization in which they or their immediate family members have a significant interest as stakeholders, directors or officers.
- Members of the Board, volunteers and staff shall inform the director in writing of all known potential conflicts of interest on an annual basis.
7. CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY: Confidentiality is a hallmark of professionalism. We therefore:
- Ensure that all information, which is confidential, privileged or nonpublic, is not disclosed inappropriately.
- Respect the privacy rights of all individuals in the performance of our United Way of Dodge City, Inc.
8. POLITICAL CONTRIBUTIONS AND/OR ENDORSEMENTS: As a charitable corporation, United Way of Dodge City is prohibited from making contributions and/or endorsements to any candidate for public office or to any political committee.